Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Language Lesson

Yarrow, Achillea millefolium, is one of my favorite herbs. One of the Ojibwe words for yarrow is ajidamoowaanow. The Anishnaabe often use different words for the same plant and this word is the one I use. Squirrel's Tail. Ajidamoo is the word for squirrel and waanow is tail. How cool is that?

The way the feathery leaves curl look like the tails of the fat squirrels that sit outside my window in the elm tree.

Traditionally yarrow has many uses. It is smoked ceremonially, often is a mixture of tobacco or red willow (Ossier) - kinnickkinnick. Dried flowers can also be lit and the smoke inhaled to break a fever or a bad headache. Of course the leaves can be used to stop bleeding.

I carry some with me all the time. A so called modern woman has hidden away in her briefcase a medicine bag with necessary herbs, another one with moxa, and a small case of acupunture needles. I have used every one of these on numerous occasions even using moxa on a co worker the other who sprained his hand lifting something.

Herbalists will understand.

No comments: